Weight Loss Tracker

Monday, February 21, 2011

Mmmmm lemon cheesecake!!

So the cheesecake turned out AMAZING!  I did make it with a regular graham crust just because most of my family likes it that way and they don't need to watch out for carbs.  I just scraped it off my slice.  Anyway I used a regular cheesecake recipe and substituted the sugar for splenda and erythritol.  I put a pan of water on the lowest oven rack to help keep the oven nice and moist while the cheesecake baked.  Once it was out of the oven I ran a toothpick around the edge of the cheesecake so as it cooled and started to shrink it wouldn't tear and create big cracks on the top.  After the cheesecake cooled on the counter for 30 minutes I put it in the fridge.  We pulled it out after almost 5 hrs of cooling and cut a small sliver.  The center was still ever so slightly "soft", so it probably should've chilled for a good 6 hrs before being served.  The texture was wonderful.  Silky smooth.  The flavor was nice.  It was a VERY light lemony flavor.  I personally like a bit more tartness but with the lemon curd spooned over the top, it was out of this world.  My husband couldn't tell it was sugar free, and to be honest, neither could I.  I really think using half splenda and half erythritol made all the difference.  Here is the original recipe I used.  I omitted the sugar and instead used 1/2 cup splenda and 2/3 cup granulated erythritol.  Everything else I followed exactly.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/mamae28099s-lemon-wedge-cheesecake/

Here is the recipe I used for the sugar free lemon curd.  Again I used 1/2 cup splenda and 2/3 cup granulated erythritol instead of the sweetener listed. 

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/locarblemoncurd.htm

This cheesecake would also be great drizzled w/ a raspberry puree or fresh sliced strawberries. 

For those that are curious about erythritol, read this http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/erythritol.htm



Enjoy!!!

No comments: