Weight Loss Tracker

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I want to be rich

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy what you need and want at the grocery store w/o having to stress about the cost of it?  Sure I can get truckloads of unhealthy processed goods for next to nothing.....it's the healthy stuff that's much harder to come by at a decent price.  I coupon where I can and have been pretty much only buying good nutritious food.  It stresses me out when a head of lettuce is over $2 but I can buy a cake mix w/ frosting for less than $1.50.   I buy fruits and vegetables that are in season and on sale.  period.  I can't buy them out of season because I absolutely cannot afford them.  We live on a single income.  My husband makes what is considered low income for a family of 3, and we have a family of 5.  We are out of debt, we don't have a tv/cable bill, we have 1 cell phone and I go through my parent's "family plan" to get it cheap, we drive vehicles that are getting close to 20 yrs old, we buy many clothes from thrift stores, and I coupon where I can to save money on groceries and yet it always seems like it's a struggle to make it between paychecks.  I read all these articles where they show you how to "save $50 month" and then proceed to give examples like, "quit buying Starbucks lattes" and "rent a movie instead of going to a movie".  Ok, ummmm THAT'S NOT HELPING ME!  We have cut just about as much "fat" out of our budget as possible.  For the 1st time this year we could no longer afford basic health insurance for our family.   They wanted us to pay over $7000 a year just for basic health coverage.  Not to mention we'd still have a $45 Dr. copay and we'd still have to pay out of our pockets for prescriptions etc etc etc.  So we took a leap of faith and dropped all health care except for dental care.  Instead we put aside $200 per paycheck into our "medical" account".  My husband gets paid every other week or roughly 26 times a year.  If we end up having to go to the Dr. we can use the money in our medical account to cover the Dr.'s visit.  It's kind of scary, but what choice do we have?  Anyway, my whole point is........I'm bummed that it's so hard to make it paycheck to paycheck when I feel like we already sacrifice so much.  I probably am coming off completely selfish.......I'm sorry if I do.  On the other hand.......I get to stay home w/ my kids.  I don't have to work, I don't have to put my kids in daycare.  What a huge blessing that is!  I have been babysitting for a friend of mine here and there and my husband lets me use the money I earn on things for myself.  I usually end up using it towards groceries, or taking the family out for a special dinner out.  Right now I'm saving up for Amanda's bday.  I really want to take her to The Melting Pot, but that place is way more than I normally spend on birthdays, so I feel good that I'm able to take her to a special place w/o putting my family in a bad spot financially. 

2 comments:

MJC on HCG said...

Have you considered tilling up a patch in your backyard and having a garden this summer? When I was a stay at home mom, I always had a garden. It was so much cheaper to do that than to buy stuff at the store - and you can freeze or dry any surplus for the winter. I would suggest canning, but that is pretty pricey when you consider the cost to get started.

I think you guys will be fine on the no insurance thing. Seriously - if something were to happen and it was MAJOR, you can always make small payments (like 20 per month) and they can't screw up your credit because of it. We haven't had health insurance in over five years and we have spent MAYBE $5000 in medical (and that included a broken arm and several rounds of bronchitis). That ends up averaging about $40 per paycheck over the last five years. You will be surprised how much cheaper things are when you are paying out of pocket - they give you discounts and sometimes you can talk them down even further (Nick's broken arm was going to cost us $6000 - I told them that there was no way I could ever afford that and they reduced the price to $2000).

You will be fine. There is nothing on this earth that you need that the Lord hasn't already provided for you. Except for me - He hasn't figured out how to get me to live back in Cd'A yet. LOL! I think He is up there working on a plan though.

I love you friend - keep your head up.

Bre said...

Oh Erica. I am sorry you guys are struggling so much! I have no real words of advice since I don't have a family but I know that I struggle to provide for myself and my kitties. : ) I think Mia's words are correct. I haven't had health insurance for several years and I just go to the Dirne Clinic and they go off your income so that might be a place for you to look into.

You will make it work. You are amazingly resourceful and God is watching over you and won't throw anything your way that you can't handle. : )